Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Wonderland

By Joanna Nadin

Synopsis:
Sixteen-year-old Jude has to get out of tiny Churchtown. She has to escape her outcast status and her pathetic dad, who hasn’t gotten past her mother’s death. The one bright light is drama, her way out, if only she can get into the Lab, a prestigious program in London. Then Stella, Jude’s childhood best friend, swaggers in after years away. With bold and magnetic Stella by her side, Jude knows she’s capable of anything. But Stella’s influence extends well beyond the theater. Soon Stella’s wild and dangerous streak begins to cause trouble for Jude -- yet Jude can’t bring herself to abandon Stella and the attention she’s always craved. And besides, now that Stella’s back, there’s no stopping her. In Jude’s dark and tangled story, British author Joanna Nadin plumbs the aftermath of loss and the consequences of becoming the person you always wished you were.

She’s back. Jude’s childhood friend -- sexy, daring Stella-- returns to their stifling hometown, and life will never be the same again


My Thoughts:

     I've seen a lot of mixed reviews of this book on Good Reads, but to be honest, I really enjoyed it.
At first I just thought it was the worn out tale of girl with the brilliant best friend who outshines her in everything, but it is so much more.

   I started figuring things out for myself before the big reveal near the end of the book, and I wished Nadin had taken more of an opportunity to explore how Jude felt about what she just found out. That part of the story was all a bit to rushed and sudden.
    Jude's passion to be an actor was believable, and her experience was relateable to me as someone who is involved with performing arts.
    The theme of identity was prevalent throughout the novel. Jude's struggle seemed genuine enough, rather typical, but it was there.
    Over all I liked this book. I didn't really know what it was about when I started reading it, but I'm glad I did.

No comments:

Post a Comment