Wednesday, July 13, 2011

The Sledding Hill

The Sledding Hill
By Chris Crutcher


Summary:

Eddie hasn't had an easy year
First his father dies. Then his best friend Billy accidentally kicks a stack of Sheetrock over on himself, breaking his neck and effectively hitting tilt on his Earthgame. Eddie and Billy were inseparable. Still are. Billy isn't going to let a little thing like death stop him from hanging in there with his friend. And when Eddie faces an epic struggle with the powers that be, Billy will remain right there beside him.

My Thoughts:
This is the first Chris Crutcher novel I've read. And I really enjoyed it.
I like how the topic of censorship and free thought was a central theme.
The relationship between Billy and Eddie was wonderfully crafted.
The only thing that really threw me was how the author inserted his real name and self as a character. I wasn't expecting it, and personally that just stuck out in a way I didn't really enjoy. Overall, The Sledding Hill was a great concept, and I loved that Billy was the omnipresent narrator, even though he was dead.

No comments:

Post a Comment