Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Miles From Ordinary

Miles from Ordinary
By Carol Lynch Williams

Summery:
Thirteen-year-old Lacey wakes to a beautiful summer morning excited to begin her new job at the library, just as her mother is supposed to start work at the grocery store. Lacey hopes that her mother's ghosts have finally been laid to rest; after all, she seems so much better these days, and they really do need the money. But as the hours tick by and memories come flooding back, a day full of hope spins terrifyingly out of control....
“No one can get inside the head and heart of a 13-year-old girl better than Carol Lynch Williams, and I mean no one," said James S. Jacobs, Professor of Children's Literature at Brigham Young University, of her breakout novel, The Chosen One. Now this award-winning YA author brings us an equally gripping story of a girl who loves her mother, but must face the truth of what life with that mother means for both of them.


My Thoughts:
This book actually has a lot of parallels with the last book I read/reviewed on this blog.
One is that the protagonist feels like a nobody.
I really enjoyed reading Miles From Ordinary.
It was a fairly quick read, once I set my mind to finishing it(and also having a day at the beach to do nothing but lounge and read helped too).
Now that I think about it, the entire story really took place over a span of one day.
Which is something that I don't seem to find very often.
It was effective, but also a very full crazy day.
Over all it was quite good.
The flip-flopped mother daughter relationship was intriguing and kept me interested, and also made me worried for Lacey and her situation.
There is so much pressure on her to take care of her mother, and herself.
I can't imagine ever having to deal personally with anything like that.


Quote:
"Together we climbed on the Peace City bus and road back towards my house. My almost normal feeling was gone. I was miles from ordinary now. Miles."

No comments:

Post a Comment