Saturday, January 8, 2011

TOOTHBRUSHBRACELETS

So I was browsing around youtube, and I found a video with one of my favourite youtubers making tooth braceles. I thought that was totally awesome, so I seached a bit further and found this cute little tutorial.

I tried making one with my friend. We were SO excited.
But we failed miserably.
I bought 2 packages of 5 toothbrushes from the dollar store.
Let's just say, that REALLY didn't work out so well.

I went back to youtube and looked through some comments and what not, and found that you have to use certain kinds of toothbrushes.
I guess the dollar store toothbrushes use a plastic that's too hard or something.
So I bought a couple REACH tooth brushes.
You can get them at Zellers for about 2 bucks each.
And then I tried again, and it worked wonderfully!

A few days later I got some friends together and we had a toothbrush bending party.

Things you need:
REACH toothbrush(there probably some other kinds that work, but these are the ones I used)
pliers
pot of boiling water
tea towel
tongs
bowl of ice water


The first step of the bracelet making is pulling out all of the bristles.
Needle nose pliers work best, but you can fake it with most other kinds.
Just try your best to get the bristles out right from the base.
Having little plastic stubble sticking into your wrist isn't very comfortable.


 This step makes kind of a mess.
You can either pull them out over a garbage can, or, lay down a sheet of paper to keep the bristles from going everywhere.

 After you pull out all the bristles you drop the toothbrush into a pot of boiling water, and leave it in there for 5-7 minutes, or until it's soft.
 Then you take the hot toothbrush out of the water, with tongs, and you place it onto a tea towel.
You have to do this part quickly so that the toothbrush doesn't harden or cool off before your done.
Using the tea towel you bend the toothbrush into the shape you want.
Don't worry too much, if you don't like the shape, or it's not the right size for your wrist, you can just drop it back into the boiling water and reshape it.


After you've bent it, put your bracelet into a bowl of ice water.
This will help set it, and keep it from changing shape.

Leave it in there for a while, and once it's cool, take it out and try it on.
 It should be about this shape.

These bracelets has actually become a pretty big hit with most of my friends.
Several people are now sporting them.
And I have a couple more that will be given to people at some point.

Youtube, you are wonderful.


No comments:

Post a Comment